What Is Study Support?
WHAT IS STUDY SUPPORT?
- Winstanley College has a Study Support team who are dedicated to meeting the individual needs of learners. The Study Support Team are based in the Library and students can drop in at any time with queries.
THE STUDY SUPPORT TEAM
The team comprises of Study Support tutors and Independent Learning Library Assistants (ILLAs) who each have a caseload of students who require support. Students who are assigned a Study Support Tutor may have regular one to one or small group sessions with their tutors or access support on a drop in basis. The ILLAs deliver support to students with short term, study skills needs. For example, help with time management, revision / examination techniques or essay planning.
WHAT OTHER HELP DOES STUDY SUPPORT PROVIDE?
- Individual assessment to identify what support is needed.
- Advice, guidance and support tailored to meet the individual needs of students with specific learning differences like dyslexia or dyspraxia, long term conditions and / or sensory impairments.
- Organisation of exam concessions for students who are identified as needing extra time, an amanuensis etc.
- Loan of specialist equipment where appropriate. For example, a Digital Recorder or a laptop computer to help with taking notes in class.
- Arrangement of specialist assessment.
- Guidance on the support that is available in Higher Education.
HOW DO STUDENTS ACCESS STUDY SUPPORT?
- Some students indicate at induction that they have had support or exam concessions at school. An interview is then arranged with a Study Support tutor to plan how the student’s needs will be met at college.
- During induction, all students complete Quickscan a computer programme, which identifies their preferred learning style. Quickscan also identifies whether there may be a need for support with study skills and screens for signs of dyslexia and dyspraxia.
- Personal Tutors can also refer students to Study Support at any point during the academic year. This may be because subject tutors, parents or the student have concerns. Following referral, assessment is carried out on an individual basis, to identify what support is needed.
If you have any questions about support or think that we can help you, please contact Linda Jones, Head of Study Support on 01695 633244 or firstname.lastname@example.org